Chocolate and almond parcel cake
Makes: 1 cake
Prep time:(includes icing time)
Cooking time:(plus 10 mins cooling time)
Skill level: Master chef
Deliciously moist cake made with almonds and covered with a rich chocolate icing. The simple recipe means it's easier to do than it looks!
IngredientsTo make the cake:
- 150g (5oz) butter, softened
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 6 medium eggs, separated
- 150g (5oz) plain chocolate, melted
- 90g (3oz) plain flour
- 1 level tbsp cocoa
- 60g (2oz) ground almonds
- 18cm (7in) square cake tin, lined with baking parchment
To decorate the cake:
- 200g (7oz) golden syrup
- 400g (14oz) plain chocolate, melted
- 4-6tbsp apricot jam, sieved
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- 250g packet white marzipan
The undecorated chocolate and almond cake can be wrapped in a freezer bag or baking parchment, and then foil, and frozen for up to 3 months. Allow to defrost overnight before decorating.
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C.
- To make the cake: Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg yolks, one at a time. Fold in the melted chocolate, flour, cocoa and ground almonds.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, and fold into the chocolate mixture. Tip the mixture out into the lined cake tin, and level the surface, hollowing the centre slightly. Bake in the centre of the oven for 40-50 mins, until firm to the touch in the centre, and a skewer comes out clean after being inserted into the cake. Remove from the oven. Leave to cool in the tin for 5-10 mins, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate covering: Stir the golden syrup into the chocolate until the mixture thickens. Transfer the mixture to a freezer bag and chill in the fridge until it solidifies enough to be able to roll it out - knead the mixture in the freezer bag occasionally, so that the chocolate sets evenly. Upturn the cake and place on serving plate or board. Spread the apricot jam over the top and sides of the cake.
- Knead three quarters of the chocolate covering to make it pliable, then roll out, on a surface lightly dusted with cocoa powder, to a square large enough to cover the top and sides of the cake. Lift over the cake, and smooth over the top, then press down over the sides, easing in the fullness at the corners. Trim away the excess around the base, and knead into the reserved mixture. Rub over the surface of the cake to smooth it.
- Knead the marzipan to soften it and roll out on a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar, and cut into strips 3cm (1žin) wide. Roll the chocolate covering out on a surface lightly dusted with cocoa and cut into strips 1cm (žin) wide. Lay white marzipan strips over cake, as main ribbons, and press down well, without distorting the shape. Place chocolate strips on top and trim off excess. (step-by-step image 4)
- To make the bow: Take 12cm (4žin) lengths of the strips, with a chocolate strip on a marzipan strip, and pinch ends. Make 8 loops and assemble on top of cake to form bow, pressing down well to secure in place. Use offcuts of marzipan to roll into long pieces to curl up and attach to the cake as twisted ribbons.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 390(kcal)
- Fat 21.0g
- Saturates 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.