Hairy Bikers' chicken noodle soup
Prep time:(may need an extra 10 mins)
Skill level: Bit of effort
From the Hairy Bikers' BBC2 series, Twelve Days of Christmas, this chicken noodle soup is a brilliant way to make full use of chicken leftovers and will keep winter bugs away! This slow cooked soup will take around 2hrs and 40 mins in total but is well worth the wait. This classic Hairy Bikers recipe is comfort food at its finest. A great way of using up leftovers from your Sunday roast, this soup is the perfect option for lunch the next day. Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!
- 3 chicken carcasses, plus the drumsticks
- 2½ litres water
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Small bunch of thyme
- 1tsp peppercorns
- 1tsp salt flakes
- 1tbs chopped parsley
- 150g, dry weight of noodles of choice
- Chopped chives to garnish
Called 'Jewish penicillin', this will keep winter nasties at bay!Hairy Bikers
- Place the chicken carcasses and drumsticks in a large pan. Cover with the water. Add the carrots, celery, leek and onion.
- Make a bouquet garni with the bay leaves and the thyme by tying in a little bundle with string. Add the bouquet garni and the peppercorns and salt.
- Cover and simmer for about two hrs, or indeed all day, skimming the scum off the top regularly.
- Leave to cool slightly. Strain into another saucepan. Pick off the meat as you wish and add to the broth.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and add the noodles, simmer according to the instructions on the packet. When cooked, stir through the chopped parsley.
- Serve in a generous bowl with a few chopped chives on the top.
Not sure what to do with leftovers? Our leftover chicken recipes are sure to inspire!
This recipe is part of the Hairy Bikers' 'Three French Hens' recipe, which includes citrus chicken breast, stuffed chicken thighs, chicken noodle soup and potato latkes