Hummingbird Bakery chocolate fridge cake bars
Cooking time:(plus cooling time overnight in the fridge)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
The Hummingbird Bakery's choccy fridge cake bars are a crunchy treat that don't need baking! Make them in advance and store in the fridge for a sugar fix
- 400g unsalted butter
- 200ml golden syrup
- 100g cocoa powder
- 800g digestive biscuits, broken into small chunks
- 200g raisins
- 33 x 23 x 5-cm baking tray, lined with greaseproof paper
Like these? Try another sweet treat that doesn't need cookinggoodtoknow
- Put the butter, golden syrup and cocoa powder in a large saucepan over medium heat and heat until melted and smooth, stirring occasionally.
- Put the biscuit chunks and raisins in a large bowl and pour in the chocolate mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until everything is well mixed and the biscuits and raisins are evenly dispersed.
- Press this mixture into the prepared baking tray, using a tablespoon to flatten and compress it. Cover with a sheet of greaseproof paper, then a tray covered in jam jars or tins to apply pressure on the cake and compress it even more.
- Leave to cool completely, then refrigerate for a couple of hours, or overnight if possible.
Photography by Peter Cassidy
Published by Ryland Peters & Small
Text © Tarek Malouf and The Hummingbird Bakers
Photography copyright Ryland Peters & Small