Mediterranean chicken parcels
Prep time:plus freezing
Cooking time:plus defrosting
Skill level: Bit of effort
Sieve the beaten egg to ensure a really smooth glaze.
- 375g packet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 4 small chicken breasts, skinless
- For the filling:
- 50g (1ĺoz) breadcrumbs
- 2 level tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 level tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 level tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 2 level tablespoons sliced, pitted olives, drained
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 30g (1oz) butter, melted
- Beaten egg, for glaze
- 1-2 level tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Baby potatoes and salad, to serve
- Baking tray, lined with a sheet of baking parchment
- To make the filling: Mix together the breadcrumbs, basil, parsley, lemon rind, garlic, Parmesan, olives, sun-dried tomato, seasoning and the melted butter.
- Trim the edges of the puff pastry and cut it into 4. Cut each piece in 2, so one piece is slightly larger than the other. Place the chicken breast on the smaller half and spoon a quarter of the filling on top. Brush around the edge of the pastry with water.
- Fold the larger piece of pastry in half and cut snips into it. Open out and then place it over the
- chicken breast and filling. Press the edges together well to seal them. Cut into the pastry around the edge to create a pattern. Repeat to make 3 more parcels.
- Place the parcels on the lined baking tray and open-freeze them. When frozen solid, wrap well in cling film, seal and freeze for up to 1 month.
- To serve: Place the parcels on a baking tray, lined with baking parchment. Loosen the cling film and leave them to defrost overnight.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200įC.
- Brush the parcels with the egg glaze and sprinkle the Parmesan over. Bake in the centre of the oven for 25-35 minutes, or until the pastry has risen and is an even, golden colour. Serve with boiled baby potatoes and salad.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 679(kcal)
- Fat 37.0g
- Saturates 17.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.