Hairy Bikers' roast partridge with festive stuffing
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Splashing out
Tired of turkey? Go for partridge this Christmas, served with fondant potatoes and pickled pears from the boys' new BBC2 Christmas special, The Twelve Days of Christmas
- 4 partridges
- 2tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 rashers streaky bacon
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 150g good pork sausage meat
- 75g cooked chestnuts, chopped
- 4 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 4 dried apricots, finely chopped
- Zest of a lemon
- Salt and black pepper
- Buttered carrots to serve
This recipe works well with Poussin (young chicken) if you can't find partridges
- First wash and dry the partridges inside and out, set aside.
- For the festive stuffing: Heat the knob of butter in a frying pan and sweat the shallots until translucent.
- In a bowl place the breadcrumbs, sausage meat, chestnuts, sage leaves, apricots and lemon zest. Combine together. Stir in the cooked buttery onions. Add a little seasoning as you wish.
- Allow the stuffing to cool completely and stuff the partridges with the stuffing.
- Place the stuffed partridges onto a roasting tin. Smear them all over with butter and cover each bird with a couple of rashers of streaky bacon - we are doing everything we can to keep the birds moist.
- Roast in a moderate preheated oven at 180ºC for 45 mins. Leave to rest for 10 mins before serving.
- Serve with some buttered carrots on the side.
This recipe is part of The Hairy Bikers' roast partridge with festive stuffing, fondant potatoes and pickled pears recipe.