Video: How to skin tomatoes
Using boiling water
- Cut a criss-cross lightly through the skin on the top of each tomato and place in a large bowl.
- Cover the tomatoes with boiling water. Leave in the water for a couple of minutes until you see the skin start to soften.
- Next plunge them into cold water - you can even add ice cubes to the water to make sure it's really cold. When the tomatoes cool down quickly it means the skin will peel off easily.
- After a minute or so you can start to peel off the skins. Use a knife if you find this easier.
Using a gas flame
If you only have one tomato to skin, it may be easier to try this method:
- Poke a fork into the tomato and make a criss-cross slit in the top of it.
- Then hold it in the top part of a gas flame (you can just use your hob). Once the skin looks quite charcoaled and blackened use a knife to peel the skin away.