Boxing Day risotto
- 1 red or white onion, peeled and sliced
- 30g (1oz) butter
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, chopped leaves, or a few sprigs of thyme (optional)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 300g (10oz) Arborio rice
- 1 litre (1¾ pints) warm turkey/chicken stock
- About 250g (8oz) cooked turkey and ham, shredded
- About 100g (3½oz) cooked, peeled chestnuts, halved
- 4 tablespoons fresh pesto
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- About 30g (1oz) Parmesan cheese, grated, to serve
If you don't have leftover cooked chestnuts, add other nuts or leftover chunks of stuffing, chopped-up cocktail sausages or bacon rolls.
- Fry the onion in half the butter for 5 minutes until softened and just starting to colour. If using red onion and you want it to keep its colour, take it out of the pan and set aside. Leave white onion in the pan.
- Add the rest of the butter to the pan, along with the sprigs of rosemary/thyme, if using, and garlic. Cook for a minute, then stir in the rice. After a minute, add about a quarter of the stock and stir until absorbed.
- Keep adding stock in this way until half of it is used up, then add the cooked meat and chestnuts. Keep adding stock until the rice is tender. Return red onion to the pan, if using.
- Take pan off the heat, stir in a little pesto and check for seasoning. Serve hot with the rest of the pesto and a bowl of grated Parmesan for adding to each portion.
Not suitable for freezing.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 587(kcal)
- Fat 20.0g
- Saturates 6.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.