Apple and cranberry strudel
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 30g (1oz) breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 60g (2oz) macadamia nuts, roughly chopped, toasted
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 dessert apples, about 500g (1lb); we like Pink Lady or Jazz
- 150g (5oz) fresh (or frozen, thawed) cranberries
- 270g pack filo pastry (6 sheets), thawed if frozen
- 90g (3oz) butter, melted
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Crème fraîche, to serve
- Large baking sheet, buttered
This would taste good with a mixture of apples and pears and using toasted walnuts, pecans, Brazil or hazelnuts.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 5 or 190°C.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of the sugar, the breadcrumbs, cinnamon, nuts and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- Pour the lemon juice into a large bowl, then quarter, core and thinly slice the apples into the bowl and toss them well in the lemon juice as you do it. When well-coated, add the cranberries and the bowl of dry ingredients.
- Lay a clean tea towel on the work surface, long side to the front and back, and put 3 sheets of filo pastry on it, overlapping on the long sides, by about 13cm (5in) to make a square measuring about 35cm (14in). Brush all over with melted butter, then put on 3 more sheets, as before, and brush again with butter.
- Spoon the fruit filling along the edge nearest to you, leaving a 5cm (2in) border at the sides. Fold these sides in, brush with more butter, then use the tea towel to help you roll the strudel up and carefully lift it on to the baking sheet, so the seam is underneath. Brush butter over the whole roll, then sprinkle with the rest of the caster sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a serving board or plate. Dust with icing sugar and serve with crème fraîche.
Not suitable for freezing
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 305(kcal)
- Fat 16.0g
- Saturates 7.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.