Gordon Ramsay's fish pie
Skill level: Bit of effort
There's nothing better than a hearty fish pie during the cold, winter months and this version from Gordon Ramsay is a hit.
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 250ml double cream
- 250ml whole milk
- 400g firm white fish fillets
- 400g smoked haddock fillets
- 30g butter
- 2 leeks, trimmed, well washed and thinly sliced
- 30g plain flour
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Handful of flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 300g peeled raw prawns
- 750g Desirée potatoes, peeled
- 75g butter, cubed
- 50ml hot milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 75 - 100g medium Cheddar, grated
- Stud the onion with the cloves. Put into a wide pan along with the bay leaf, cream and milk and bring to a simmer. Lower the white and smoked fish fillets into the pan and poach for 3-4 mins; it won’t matter if the fish is slightly underdone at this stage. Lift it out of the pan onto a plate.
- Pass the cooking liquor through a fine sieve into a jug and reserve.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the leeks and sweat for 4 - 6 mins until soft. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for another couple of minutes. Gradually stir in the reserved fish cooking liquor and let simmer for 10-15 mins, stirring from time to time, until thickened to a sauce consistency. Season well with salt and pepper to taste and stir in the chopped parsley.
- For the topping, cut the potatoes into chunks and add to a pan of salted water. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and cook for 15-20 mins, until tender when pierced with a knife. Drain well and push through a potato ricer, or mash until smooth. Add the butter and hot milk and mix until well incorporated. Allow to cool slightly, then stir in the egg yolks. Season well.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan 180°C/gas mark 4). Flake the fish into bite-sized pieces and add to the leek sauce with the prawns. Stir until evenly combined. Transfer to a 1.75 - 2lt ovenproof baking dish and spoon the mash on top, spreading it evenly. For a traditional fish pie finish, mark the surface with the tines of a fork. Scatter over a generous layer of grated cheese. Bake in the oven for 25-35 mins, until the fish pie is bubbling and golden brown on top. Let stand for a few minutes, then serve the fish pie with peas or green beans.
Fancy making a traditional fish pie? Try our classic fish pie recipeThis recipe is taken from Gordon Ramsay's World Kitchen: Recipes from The F Word, published by Quadrille, priced £20, available from Amazon
More fish recipes