- 425g pack puff pastry sheets
- A little beaten egg, to glaze
For the filling
- 1 small leek, finely sliced, or about 125g (4oz) leftover cooked leeks or sprouts
- 15g (Żoz) butter
- 15g (Żoz) plain flour
- 125ml (4fl oz) milk
- 100g (3Żoz) cooked turkey and/or ham, fairly finely chopped
- 1 rounded tablespoon chopped fresh parsley and/or thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Add chunks of Gruyere instead of meat for a vegetarian version
- To make the filling: If using fresh leek, cook the slices for a couple of minutes in boiling water
- Cool under running water and leave to drain.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and mix in the flour to make a paste
- Gradually add the milk to make a smooth, thick sauce and simmer for a few minutes
- Add the leeks and leave to cool
- Stir in the cooked meat and parsley, and season well
- Unroll the 2 sheets of pastry and cut each one in half lengthways, then each strip into 3, to get 6 squares (each about 10cm/4in square) from each sheet
- Work on one at a time
- Moisten round the edge of each square with a finger dipped in beaten egg
- Pile a tablespoon of filling mixture in the middle, and then fold one corner over to the opposite corner to make a triangular parcel. Seal well, knock up the edges and decorate them
- Put on a heavy baking sheet
- Chill the parcels while the oven heats up to Gas Mark 6 or 200░C.
- Brush the parcels with beaten egg, make a small hole in the top with a knifepoint and bake for 20 minutes
- Best served warm
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 175(kcal)
- Fat 11.0g
- Saturates 5.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.