- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g can whole or chopped tomatoes
- 410g can borlotti or other beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 litre (1¾ pints) turkey or chicken stock
- About 200g (7oz) cooked ham, cut roughly into chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Good handful of fresh parsley leaves, to garnish
Not suitable for freezing.
- In a large pan, soften the onion, carrot and celery in the oil for 5 mins
- Add the garlic and bay leaf and cook for 5 mins.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans and stock
- Simmer for about 20 mins until the carrots are just tender.
- Ladle about half the soup into a blender and whizz until almost smooth, then pour back into the pan.
- Add the ham and cook for about 5 mins until piping hot, and check seasoning.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley, and drizzle with olive oil, if you like.
- Serve hot with bread.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 200(kcal)
- Fat 5.0g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.