Walnut and honey tart
Prep time:(plus 20 mins chilling)
Total time:(plus chilling)
Skill level: Easy peasy
IngredientsFor the pastry:
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 100g (3½oz) chilled butter, in slivers
- 1 egg yolk
- 300g (10oz) walnut pieces
- 75g (2½oz) butter, softened
- 2tsp plain flour
- 75g (2½oz) clear honey (2 good tbsp)
- 75g (2½oz) caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 2tbsp sherry
- Extra honey and some creme fraiche, to serve
- 23cm (9in) loose-based tart tin
To freeze; Cool, wrap and freeze. Use within 2 months. Thaw, unwrapped, then warm through to serve
- To make the pastry: Put the flour, salt, sugar and butter in a food processor and whizz to breadcrumb stage. With the motor running, add the egg yolk with 2tbsp cold water and whizz again until the mixture starts to come together. Knead lightly until just combined, wrap in cling film. Chill for 20 mins.
- Roll out pastry to line the tin. Chill the pastry case while the oven heats up. (You will have some left over for tarts.)
- Set the oven to gas mark 5 or 190°C. Heat up a baking sheet. Line pastry case with Bakewell paper. Add baking beans. Bake for 15 mins. Take out paper and beans and cook for 8 mins more.
- To make the filling: Chop nuts roughly. Whisk the butter, flour, honey and sugar. Mix in eggs, a little at a time. Add sherry and all but a handful of the nuts. The mixture curdles, but don’t worry. Spread evenly over pastry case, then sprinkle with remaining nuts.
- Bake for 20-25 mins or until almost set in the middle. Cool for 15 mins, then take out of tin. Slice and serve with extra honey in a jug and some creme fraiche.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 409(kcal)
- Fat 31.0g
- Saturates 10.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.