Sticky, nutty, fruity tart
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 100g (3½oz) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 1 egg yolk, mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 175g (6oz) mixed nuts, eg, walnuts, almonds, Brazils (roughly chop the larger nuts)
- 90g (3oz) unsalted butter
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 60g (2oz) set honey
- 200ml (7fl oz) double cream
- 8 fresh dates, stoned, halved
- Crème fraîche or ice cream, to serve
- 35 x 12cm (14 x 4¾in) tranche tin, or 22cm (8½in) flan tin
If making this in the tranche tin, you'll have about 125g (4oz) pastry left over, so use it to make jam tarts. Any mix of nuts will work in this recipe.
- To make the pastry: Put the flour, salt, sugar and butter in a food processor and whizz to fine crumb stage. Add the egg yolk and water and whizz again, until the dough comes together. Knead gently, form into a roll and flatten it. Wrap it in cling film and chill for 20 minutes.
- Roll out pastry to line the tin. Chill the flan case while the oven heats up to Gas Mark 5 or 190°C. Line the case with Bakewell paper and baking beans and bake for 15 minutes. Take out paper and beans and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool while you make the filling.
- To make the filling: Put the nuts, butter, sugar and honey into a heavy frying pan (non-stick is best). Cook, stirring, over a low heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is pale golden. Bring to the boil, then stir in the cream and let it bubble for a minute.
- Pour into the pastry case, press halved dates on top and bake for 12 minutes until caramel-coloured. Cool, then take out of the tin. Serve at room temperature with crème fraîche or ice cream.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 567(kcal)
- Fat 46.0g
- Saturates 23.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.