Weight Watchers leek, mushroom and cheese pancakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Weight Watchers leek, mushroom and cheese pancakes are so easy and taste great! You can still join in the Pancake Day fun without feeling guilty with this amazing recipe. They are a great low-fat lunch that's as filling as it is healthy - only 4 and a half points! This recipe serves 4 people and will take only 40 mins to prepare and cook both the filling and the pancakes. The tangy leek, soft mushrooms and rich cheese flavours work wonders with these classic pancakes. The half-fat Cheddar cheese, skimmed milk and low-fat cooking spray make sure these pancakes are low in calories and fat. If you want to up your 5-a-day count, add more veggies to the filling like asparagus, spinach or peppers chopped and cubed.
IngredientsFor the pancakes:
- 100g flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 medium egg
- 300ml skimmed milk
- 1 spray low-fat cooking spray
For the filling:
- 1 portion leek
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 stock cube
- 20g butter
- 40g flour
- 300ml skimmed milk
- 50g half-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1tbsp parsley, or
- 1tsp fresh chives
If you want to prepare ahead, arrange the filled pancakes in a large baking dish misted with low fat cooking spray. Cover with foil and refrigerate. Re-heat at gas mark 4, 180°C, fan oven 160°C for 25-30 mins, until thoroughly heated.
- To make the pancakes, put the flour into a mixing bowl with the salt, egg and milk. Beat together with a whisk to make a smooth batter.
- Heat a large heavy-based frying pan and spray with low-fat cooking spray. Add one quarter of the batter and swirl it around the pan. Cook until the surface has set, then flip over to cook the other side. Make 4 large pancakes in this way. Keep in a warm place.
- To make the filling, simmer the leek and mushrooms in the vegetable stock for 5 mins, then drain well, reserving the stock. Put the milk, butter, flour and reserved stock into a non-stick saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly with a small whisk until smooth and thickened. Add the cheese and stir until smooth. Add the leek, mushrooms and herbs and heat gently for a few moments. Use to fill the pancakes, then serve.