Chocolate and vanilla marble cake
Makes: 1 loaf
Skill level: Bit of effort
It's really easy to create the lovely, swirling pattern on a classic marble cake. Bake a loaf of this chocolate marble cake for your afternoon tea. Itís a great choice if you just canít choose between chocolate and vanilla sponge, as in this recipe you get the best of both! Whip it up if youíve got friends coming over and enjoy it with a cup of tea for the perfect afternoon treat.
- 225g (8oz) unsalted butter
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 75g (2ĺ oz) chocolate e.g. Galaxy
- 1tsp cocoa powder
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 900g (2 lb) loaf tin
Top tip: An easier way to melt chocolate: 'Just break it up and put it in the microwave on a low or defrost setting for a few minutes, stirring halfway through.'Gordon Ramsay, celebrity chef
- To make this chocolate cake, preheat the oven to 180įC (360įF, gas mark 5). Lightly grease and base line a loaf tin.
- Melt the chocolate in a small bowl over simmering water but don't let the water touch the bowl. Leave to cool slightly.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds then add these to the butter and sugar. Cream the ingredients together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten egg, a little at a time, using a little flour to help if the mixture starts to curdle.
- Fold in the flour then spoon half the mixture into another bowl.
- Fold the melted chocolate and cocoa powder into one bowl of mixture.
- Spoon alternate spoonfuls of each mixture into the loaf tin. When all the mixture has been used, drag a knife through the mixture to give a marble effect when it is cooked.
- Bake for 1 hr 15 mins until a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the tin and leave to cool on a cooling rack.