Easy chocolate cheesecake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Our chocolate cheesecake recipe is so easy! Soft, light and simple this chocolate cheesecake recipe is made with dark chocolate and extra light cream cheese. The base is made with puffed-rice cereal and golden syrup. This cheesecake is perfect for sharing with friends and family. It takes around 1hr and 15 mins to make and serves 8 people. This delicious cheesecake is perfect served with fresh orange segments or drizzled in white chocolate. The Rice Krispies base makes this chocolate cheesecake better than all the rest. It's a subtle change from biscuit!
- 100g bar of 60% cocoa dark chocolate
- 50g (1¾oz) puffed-rice cereal
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 3 leaves of gelatine
- 2 x 200g extra light cream cheese
- 4 level tablespoons icing sugar
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- Small orange slices, skin removed
- 18cm (7in) round spring-clip tin, lined with baking parchment
To melt the chocolate in the microwave, put it in for no more than 2 mins. It will still have some lumps in but stirring it will help them melt
- Grate a very small amount of chocolate on to a plate to use for decoration, then melt the rest of the bar.
- To make the base: Tip the puffed rice into a bowl and add half the melted chocolate and the golden syrup, and mix well. Spoon the mixture out to line the base of the tin and press it down firmly. Chill it in the fridge while making the topping.
- To make the topping: Place the gelatine leaves in a bowl of cold water (the water just needs to cover the gelatine). Leave to soak for about 3-5 minutes, then lift it out of the water and squeeze out any excess moisture. Melt the gelatine, either in a microwave or over a pan of hot water.
- Warm one of the containers of cream cheese (again, either in a microwave or over a pan of hot water), so it feels very slightly warm to the touch. Add the melted gelatine and beat well until the mixture is smooth.
- Beat in the other container of cream cheese, icing sugar, vanilla extract and the remaining melted chocolate.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold them into the chocolate mixture. Pour mixture over the base, level the surface and then chill cheesecake until the topping has set.
- To serve: Unclip the ring of the tin and slide the cheesecake on to a serving plate. Peel away the lining paper. Arrange the orange slices on top, and sprinkle the grated chocolate over. The cheesecake is best eaten on the day that it’s made, otherwise the base will start to go soft.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 182(kcal)
- Fat 64.0g
- Saturates 4.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.