Slow cooked pulled chicken
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This mouth-watering slow cooked pulled chicken is really easy to make and perfect for finishing off on the BBQ. This recipe serves 6 people and takes about 5hrs for the meat to cook and absorb the rich and delicious flavours from the sticky BBQ marinade. Serve your pulled chicken in soft white buns with freshly prepared salad. This pulled chicken recipe is just as good as pulled pork - maybe even better! Once you've perfected this recipe you'll want to make it every summer when the barbecue comes out to play.
- Small chicken, about 1.25-1.5kg (2¾3lb)
- 6-8 tbsp barbecue sauce
- Baps, sliced tomato and coleslaw, to serve
This recipe is best cooked in a slow-cook pot, but if you dont have one, cook the chicken in a covered casserole dish in the oven on the lowest setting, for 3-5 hours (time will vary depending on the oven).
- Place the chicken in the slow-cook pot. Set the pot to a medium/high heat, and cook the chicken for 4-5 hours, or until the juices run clear when the flesh is pierced with a skewer.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, take the skin off and then pull the flesh off the bones it should be so tender, this will be easy to do.
- Stir the chicken into the barbecue sauce and serve in baps with sliced tomatoes and a little extra sauce drizzled over, if liked. Serve with coleslaw.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 307(kcal)
- Fat 7.0g
- Saturates 5.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.