Venison steaks with roasted parsnip rosti
IngredientsFor the rosti:
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and grated
- 3 parsnips, peeled and grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium egg white
For the venison:
- Sunflower oil, for greasing
- 2 venison steaks, each about 125g (4oz)
- 2 tablespoons port
- 4 tablespoons redcurrant jelly
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 9cm (3½in) plain round cutter
- Baking sheet lined with nonstick liner or baking parchment
- Non-stick frying pan
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C.
To make the rosti:
- Tip the grated potato and parsnip into a bowl and add plenty of seasoning
- Add the egg white and mix well
- Divide the mixture into 4
- Place the round cutter on the lined baking sheet and press a quarter of the grated mixture into it, pressing the mixture down firmly. Then lift up the ring.
- Repeat to make 3 more rosti.
- Place the baking sheet with the rosti in the oven and bake them for about 45–55 minutes, or until they are a lightgolden colour and feel tender when pierced with a knife.
To cook the venison:
- Lightly grease the base of the frying pan with the oil, then place the pan over a high heat
- Cut each venison steak in half to give 4 pieces and season both sides of each piece with salt and pepper
- Place the venison in the pan and cook it for 1-2 minutes on each side, until lightly browned
- Then reduce the heat under the pan and add the port, redcurrant jelly, stock cube and 150ml (¼ pint) water
- Bring to the boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer the contents of the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Place the rosti on a plate and top each with a piece of venison and a sprig of rosemary
- Transfer the sauce into a small jug to pour over, and serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 258(kcal)
- Fat 7.0g
- Saturates 2.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.