- Pack of trifle sponges (6-8)
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 30g (1oz) caster sugar
- 300ml (½ pint) double cream
- 1 orange, for decoration
- Cut the sponges into 1cm (½in) cubes (8 per sponge) and put into 6-8 glasses.
- Mix the zest and juice from the oranges and the lemon (it should be nearly 300ml/½ pint) with the sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves completely.
- In another bowl, whip the cream until it is just thickened, then slowly add the sweetened fruit juice, whipping the cream as you go until it is lightly whipped and all the juice is absorbed.
- Pour the mixture over the sponge in the glasses and chill for 2 hrs or longer, if you can, so that the juices soak into the sponge and the cream thickens.
- To make the decoration: Pare the rind from the orange with a potato peeler, then cut the parings into very fine strips. Put them in a pan of boiling water and boil for 1 min. Drain and cool under running water. Keep them in cold water until ready to use, then dry on kitchen paper before arranging on each fool.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 65(kcal)
- Fat 4.5g
- Saturates 2.8g
- Sugars 0.0g
- Salt 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.