Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken
Prep time:(plus 3½ hrs chilling time)
Costs: Splashing out
Skill level: Bit of effort
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken recipe is so easy to make at home and tastes delicious too. This classic Indian dish will take around 50 mins to prepare and cook but is best made in advance so the chicken has plenty of time to marinade in the homemade butter-based curry sauce. This butter chicken recipe is great for sharing with friends and family, especially on a Friday after a busy week so you can catch up over a delicious meal. This butter chicken recipe is also the perfect takeaway alternative, and much healthier too. By making your own butter chicken curry at home, you have more control over what you're eating, especially if you're trying to loose weight. It's much healthier than your average takeaway and you can control how spicy or non-spicy you want it. The chicken is so tender in this recipe and works wonders with the tomato infused sauce. Add some veggies to this dish like spinach to add towards your 5-a-day count. This easy butter chicken recipe was taken from his Channel 4 series Gordon's Great Escape.
Natural yogurt and cream helps to make this curry milder, but if you don't like it too hot, just use 'mild' chilli powder instead of the 'hot' one
IngredientsFor the butter chicken marinade
- 800g chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into 3-4cm pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely crushed
- 2cm ginger, peeled and finely grated
- ½tsp fine sea salt
- ½tsp hot chilli powder
- 1½tbsp lemon juice
- 75ml natural yoghurt
- ½tsp garam masala (mixed Indian spices)
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil, for brushing
- 1½ tbsp ghee or melted, unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2cm ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cardamom pod, seeds lightly crushed
- 2 cloves
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp garam masala (mixed Indian spices)
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- 1tsp hot chilli powder, or to taste
- 275ml tomato pure
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 40g unsalted butter
- 100ml double cream
- 1tbsp chopped coriander, to garnish
- To make this chicken curry recipe, place the chicken in a bowl with the garlic, ginger, salt, chilli powder and lemon juice. Mix, cover with cling film and chill for 30 mins.
- Mix together the yogurt, garam masala, turmeric and cumin and add to the chicken, making sure that each piece is well coated with the mixture. Cover again and chill for 3-4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Fan 160ºC/gas mark 4. Put the marinated chicken pieces on a grill rack set on a baking tray and bake for 8-10 mins. Brush the chicken pieces with a little oil and turn them over. Bake for another 10-12 mins until just cooked through.
- For the sauce: Heat the ghee or butter in a pan and add the garlic and ginger. Fry for a min or so then add the cardamom, cloves, coriander, garam masala, turmeric and chilli powder. Stir well and fry for 1-2 mins until they give off a lovely aroma. Stir in the tomato pure and lemon juice and cook for another couple of mins. Add the chicken pieces to the sauce and stir well to coat. Finally, add the butter and cream and stir continuously until the butter has melted and the sauce is smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Transfer to a warm bowl and serve hot, garnished with chopped coriander.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.