Sausage and bean crumble
- 6-8 herby sausages
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 410g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ham or vegetable stock cube
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g (5oz) plain flour
- 75g (2½oz) butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
If you don't have any smoked paprika, you can give the recipe an Italian flavour by adding 1 level teaspoon of dried oregano or thyme
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 3, or 160°C.
- Place the sausages in a casserole dish and scatter over the chopped bacon, onion and beans.
- Pouring 200ml (7fl oz) boiling water into a measuring jug, and adding the stock cube, stir until it’s dissolved. Then stir in the smoked paprika and chopped tomatoes, and season well. Pour this mixture into the casserole dish.
- Cover the casserole dish with a lid or foil, and place on a baking tray in the centre of the oven. Bake for about 1½ hours, or until the sausages are cooked and the onion has softened.
- To make the crumble topping: Tip the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture starts to bind together. Mix in the parsley and some salt and pepper.
- Increase the oven temperature to Gas Mark 6, or 200°C.
- Scatter the crumble mixture over the top of the casserole, and then cook, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, or until the crumble topping is a light-golden colour. Remove from the oven and
- serve with green vegetables or salad.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 247(kcal)
- Fat 15.0g
- Saturates 6.7g
- Sugars 0.0g
- Salt 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.