Chicken and potato bake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This chicken and potato bake is a great way of using up leftover roast chicken or turkey. Just mix it in with bacon, herbs and potatoes to make this tasty bake. This easy leftover chicken bake uses a rich creamy sauce which works wonders with the tender cuts of chicken meat and soft, buttery potatoes on top. If you don't have any bacon in the fridge you could opt for other hams instead like pancetta or leave out altogether. A delicious, wholesome meal for all the family. This recipe serves 2 people and will take around 1hr and 15 mins to cook. It's well worth the wait and the quantities in this recipe can be double or tripled to suit your family. This dish is great for hiding veggies too so add some leafy greens like spinach or kale to the chicken filling to count towards your family's 5-a-day. This recipe best made and eaten on the same day.
- 500g potatoes (1lb 2oz), peeled
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced into rings
- 1-2 rashers bacon, fat and rind removed, cut into thin strips
- 225g (8oz) cooked turkey or chicken, cut into 2.5cm (1in) pieces (leftover from Sunday's roast)
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs
- 150ml (¼pt) double cream
- 15oml (¼pt) chicken stock
- 25g (1oz) butter, melted
If potatoes start to brown too quickly, cover loosely with foil. The mixture can also be used as a filling for pies or pasties, using home-made shortcrust pastry.
- Cut potatoes into slices approximately 0.5cm (¼in) thick. Place potato slices in a large saucepan, cover with cold water, add a little salt and bring up to boil, then pour into a colander to drain.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C (400°F,gas mark 6). Heat oil in a large frying pan, add onion and bacon and cook gently until onion is softened.
- Mix turkey or chicken and herbs into onion and bacon, and then transfer to a shallow, baking dish.
- Pour cream and stock over chicken or turkey, and then cover with overlapping potato slices. Brush with butter, place on a baking tray and cook for45 mins-1 hr, or until potatoes are cooked and golden brown.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 684(kcal)
- Fat 35.0g
- Saturates 17.6g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.