Phil Vickery's sticky toffee pudding
- 175g (6oz) dates, stoned and chopped
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300ml (Ĺpt) boiling water
- 55g (2oz) butter
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 1tsp pure vanilla extract
For the sauce:
- 397g can caramel
- Preheat the oven to 180įC (350įF, gas mark 4). Mix the dates and the bicarbonate of soda.
- Pour the hot water over and leave to soak while you make the batter.
- Whisk together the butter and the sugar, then add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the flour, and then stir in the date mixture and vanilla. Pour into the prepared tin or ramekins.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 mins for individual portions or 40-50 mins for the square tin, until cooked (test with a skewer).
- For the sauce, spoon the caramel into a microwave safe bowl and heat for about 1 min.
- Cut the pudding into squares for individual servings, and pour over the warm caramel sauce.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.