A fishmonger's video guide to fresh fish
Top tip - If you can smell fish in a fishmonger's it's a sign the fish is not fresh. Fish starts to smell the longer it is left out.
A fresh fish has:
- Sparkling skin with a bright dewey glaze
- Clear eyes
- Blood behind the gills
- Rigor/stiffness. If a fish is stiff it means it has been dead less than 24 hours, after 36 hours rigor begins to drop out.
How to store a fish
- Best way to store fish is on ice - ask your fishmonger for ice.
- If not, keep in cool fridge, fish prefer to be at 2 degrees below.
- Most fish can be frozen but you have to freeze the fish when it's fresh.