The Nordic Diet beetroot burgers
Prep time:(plus refrigerating time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
These veggie beetroot burgers are a great low-fat alternative to high-in-fat beef burgers. Serve with the barley salad or in buns
IngredientsFor the beetroot burgers:
- 250g red beetroot, grated
- 250g yellow beetroot, grated
- 100ml oatmeal
- 3 eggs
- 1 shallot, very finely chopped
- 4 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 2 tbsp finely chopped thyme
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil, for frying
- 200g barley
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 big bunch of flat-leaf parsley
- 1tbsp extra virgin rapeseed oil or olive oil
- 2tbsp red wine vinegar
'Go for smaller beetroots for tenderness, especially if planning to use them raw in salads, and avoid very large ones, which may have a woody core.Trina Hahnemann, author of The Nordic Diet
- Mix the ingredients for the burgers well in a bowl, and allow to rest in the refrigerator for 1 hr.
- Prepare the barley for the salad: Boil it in water with a little salt for 30 mins. Drain and allow to cool down. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Form flat cakes of the burger mixture with your hands. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the cakes until golden on both sides. Transfer them to an ovenproof dish and put in the oven for 20 mins.
- Make the salad: Mix the barley with the celery, parsley, oil and red wine vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the beetroot cakes with the barley salad. They can be made the day before and reheated too.
This recipe is taken from The Nordic Diet by Trina Hahnemann, published by Quadrille, priced £12.99, available from Amazon
Photograph by Lars Ranek