Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These easy buckwheat pancakes are great with sweet or savoury fillings and are a delicious way to start the day (or end it, if you fancy them for dinner!). We've put together this gluten-free buckwheat pancake recipe to be as easy as possible and it only takes 15 minutes to throw together, with the pancakes themselves taking just 5 minutes to cook - ideal if you don't have much time. Despite its name buckwheat isn't actually a wheat at all, which makes this recipe gluten and wheat free. If you haven't had buckwheat before then it's flavour is probably best described as 'nutty' which makes it a really nice base for most flavours, both sweet and savoury. Try experimenting with ham and cheese or strawberries and cream for a naughty treat.
- 100g buckwheat flour
- 1 large free range egg
- 250ml your choice of milk
- 125ml water
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- Groundnut oil to fry (you can use olive oil but this has a higher smoke point)
Suggested sweet fillings:
- Fresh fruit and Sweet Freedom
- Berries and Greek yoghurt
- Chocolate sauce and Greek yoghurt
- Lemon juice and Sweet Freedom
- Apple puree and crème fraîche
- Add a little coconut milk or unsweetened desiccated coconut to the pancake mix and fill with pineapple.
Buckwheat pancakes are wheat-free, which means they're also gluten-free
- To make your pancake batter whisk the flour, egg and milk together until you have a smooth paste.
- Whisk in the water and yoghurt to make a smooth batter - if you want to make crepes then add a little extra water at this point to make a thinner batter.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a non-stick pan, just enough to cover the base.
- Add the batter - depending on the size of pancake you want
- Cook until golden, then flip gently - they are quite delicate at this stage.
- Keep them warm if using immediately, or allow them to cool.
- Make a big batch of buckwheat pancakes, freeze, and defrost in a dry pan or microwave for a handy standby. If freezing, separate each one with greaseproof paper and put in a sealed bag.