Chicken and sweetcorn hotpot
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This tasty chicken hotpot is easy to make, packed with potatoes, mushrooms, carrots and sweetcorn and only costs £1.58 per serving.
- 450g potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 8 boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- Flour for dusting
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced or diced
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 340g can sweetcorn, drained
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 450ml chicken stock
- 15g butter, melted
Money-saving tip: It's cheaper to buy chicken thighs with the skin on and bone in, so if you've got the time to skin and bone them, then choose these.
- Slice the potatoes approx 3mm thick, put into a pan of boiling water and cook for 5 mins, Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole, add the onion and cook a few minutes until softened. Dust the chicken with flour and add to the pan. Fry on a high heat until starting to brown.
- Scatter over the garlic, carrots, mushrooms, toss together over the heat for 2 mins, then add the sweetcorn and thyme and pour over the stock. Simmer for 5 mins.
- Heat the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6). Arrange the potatoes on top, overlapping them, work from the outside. Brush with melted butter then place in the oven and cook for 30-35 mins until the potatoes are golden and crisp.