Chicken and bacon sausages with bread mash
IngredientsFor the sausages:
- 450g (1lb) raw chicken breast (weight without skin and bone)
- 300g (10oz) unsmoked fatty bacon
- 60g (2oz) white breadcrumbs
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 30g (1oz) butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 200ml (7fl oz) milk
- 125g (4oz) day-old white bread
- 100ml (3½fl oz) single cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Cranberry relish, or sauce, for serving
- Roughly chop the chicken and bacon and put in a food processor with the breadcrumbs, egg, garlic and seasoning.
- Process until mixed but not too smooth
- Mix in the thyme
- Divide the mixture into 12, shape into sausages
- By hand, rub each sausage in oil
- Chill, covered, until ready to cook
- Fry sausages in a non-stick pan, adding extra oil, if necessary, for 12-15 minutes over a medium heat, until cooked through and browned.
To make the mash:
- Melt the butter gently in a frying pan, add the onion and garlic and let them soften for 5 minutes
- Add the milk and set aside until ready to serve
- Reheat, then add small chunks of bread and the cream to the pan until the bread soaks up the milk and cream.
- Season well, adding freshly grated nutmeg
- Serve mash sprinkled with thyme leaves, along with the sausages and cranberry relish or sauce.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 163(kcal)
- Fat 9.5g
- Saturates 4.0g
- Sugars 0.0g
- Salt 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.