Makes: 2 small loaves
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Gingerbread cake is a classic bake, made with rich, warm spices, golden syrup and black treacle for a rich loaf cake that tastes like Christmas. The smell of freshly baked gingerbread cake is hard to resist but if you can avoid the temptation of cutting a slice while warm from the oven, gingerbread is best cooled and wrapped and kept for a day or two before eating. It will slice much better and have a lovely sticky texture. Cinnamon, ginger, golden syrup and black treacle all help to give this easy gingerbread cake recipe its delicious flavour. This recipe makes two small loaves, so why not keep one in the freezer for another day? If you freeze it wrapped in individual slices, itís perfect for lunchboxes and will defrost much quicker than a whole loaf.
For an extra ginger kick add 100g chopped preserved ginger from a jar to the cake mixture and drizzle a little of the syrup from the jar over the cooked cakes.
- 350g plain flour
- 1Ĺtsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 4tsp ground ginger
- 1Ĺtsp ground cinnamon
- 110g butter
- 150g light soft brown sugar
- 3tbsp golden syrup
- 3tbsp black treacle
- 3 medium eggs
- 7tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas 4. Grease 2 x 450g loaf tins and line the base and two short sides with one long strip of baking paper along it to hang over the ends slightly.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon into a mixing bowl.
- Gently heat the butter, sugar, golden syrup and treacle in a saucepan until the butter has just melted and the sugar has dissolved. Cool slightly then beat in the eggs and milk and pour over the flour mixture in the bowl. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and pour into the two tins.
- Bake the gingerbread mixture for 50-60 mins until well risen and just firm to the touch. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean. Cool in the tin for 30 mins then run a knife along the unlined sides of the tin and lift the gingerbread out using the paper strip.
- Leave the gingerbread to cool completely on a wire rack then wrap in foil and store for 1-2 days or up to 1 week before eating.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.