How to make chocolate fudge cake
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Chocolate fudge cake is one of the most heavenly bakes to make and we've made it so much easier by giving you a simple step-by-step guide for how to make it taste just as it should. Thick, sweet chocolate sponges with a rich chocolate buttercream, chocolate fudge cake is in between a cake and a dessert - so does that mean we can have it for both, please?
- 4 Large eggs
- 250g (8oz) unsalted butter, sogtened
- 175g (6oz) soft dark brown sugar
- 60g (2oz) golden syrup
- 60g (2oz) dark chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g (7oz) self-raising flour
- 30g (1oz) cocoa
- ½ level teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 300ml (1/2pint) soured cream or crème fraiche
- 400g (14oz) dark chocolate, melted
- 2 x 20cm (8in) round sandwich tins, buttered and base lined
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 5 or 190°C.
- To make the sponge, put the eggs, butter, brown sugar, golden syrup, melted chocolate and vanilla extract into a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cocoa and baking powder and add the water. Beat with a hand-held electric mixer until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and smooth the tops level. Bake in the centre of the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the cakes feel springy to the touch. Remove the cakes from the oven and leave them to cool in the tins for a few minutes before turning them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, stir the soured cream or crème fraiche into the melted chocolate using a wire whisk. Allow the mixture to cool slightly but not to set.
- Place one layer of sponge on a plate and spread a generous layer of frosting over it and then place the other sponge on top. Cover the cake completely with the remaining chocolate frosting, swirling it on.
- Leave the cake in a cool place for the frosting to set a little before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 568(kcal)
- Fat 36.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.