Profiteroles with chocolate sauce
The cooked, unfilled choux buns may be packed into a plastic container and frozen for up to 3 months. Remove from the freezer and allow to defrost for at least 2-3 hours before “refreshing” in a hot oven for a few minutes. Leave to cool before finishing. The cream filling and chocolate sauce are not suitable for freezing.
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 150ml (1/4 pint) water
- 75g (21/2oz) plain flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 100ml (31/2fl oz) water60g (2oz) butter
- 175g (6oz) dark soft brown sugar
- 2 level tablespoons cocoa
- 300ml carton double cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Baking sheet, with non-stick liner or baking parchment
- To make the choux buns, set the oven to Gas Mark 7 or 220°C.
- Place the butter in a saucepan with the water over a low heat until the butter melts. Bring the mixture to the boil, remove the pan from the heat and quickly beat in the flour until the mixture binds and comes away from the sides of the pan.
- Leave the mixture to cool for at least 10 minutes, then beat in the eggs. Fill the piping bag with the mixture and pipe balls, about the size of walnuts onto the baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet above the centre of the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the buns have risen and are a pale golden colour.
- Remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to moderate Gas Mark 4 or 180°C. Pierce each bun with a skewer or fine knife to allow the steam to escape, then return to the oven for a further 5-10 minutes until the buns are crisp.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool and then cut each almost fully in half. Remove any soft mixture from the centres, using a teaspoon.
- To make the chocolate sauce, pour the water into a saucepan and melt over a gentle heat. Add the sugar and cocoa and continue to stir until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and bring to the boil, then simmer for 4-5 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove the pan from the heat and leave the sauce to cool and thicken.
- To make the cream filling, whisk the cream and vanilla extract until it forms soft peaks. Fill the piping bag, fitted with the piping tube, and pipe some cream into the centre of each. Pile up on serving plate and spoon some chocolate sauce on top. Serve any extra sauce in a small jug.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 560(kcal)
- Fat 42.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.