Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Grown-up cupcakes for when you need more than anything, a cup of tea and a sit down. These cappuccino cupcakes are the perfect afternoon treat for if you’re entertaining friends, or just if you want something ready in the house as an afternoon pick me up. What’s more, this lovely cupcake recipe is really simple to make and only takes 35 minutes in total to prepare and bake. You’ll probably have most of the ingredients in your cupboard too, so it’s also a relatively cheap recipe to make. This recipe makes 12 cupcakes, so there is plenty to share – and don’t be surprised if people ask for seconds too. Topping it all off with a buttery icing using a butter spread, icing sugar and a dusting of cocoa powder, these cupcakes feel super special.
- 100g buttery spread
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100g self raising flour, sifted
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp instant coffee, mixed with 100ml boiling water, and cooled
For the buttercream topping:
- 75g buttery spread
- 5 tbsp icing sugar
- Dusting of cocoa powder
- To make this cupcake recipe, heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/ 350°F, gas 4.
- Either place 12 silicone fairy cake cases on a baking sheet or line a 12-hole baking tin with fairy cake cases.
- Beat together the buttery spread, sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder with 4 tsp of the coffee mix.
- Spoon the mix into the cases. Cook for 18-20 minutes until light golden and springy. Leave to cool.
- For the butter cream topping: Beat the buttery spread and sugar in a large bowl with a wooden spoon or preferably an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Spread over the cup cakes and dust with a little cocoa powder.