Herby chicken schnitzel
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned
- 2tbsp plain flour
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 medium egg
- 2tbsp milk
- 75-100g (2½-3½oz) white breadcrumbs
- 4tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- About 30g (1oz) butter
- About 4tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp mayonnaise
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 1 very small red onion, finely sliced and then chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, finely sliced and then chopped
- 2tsp small, salted capers, rinsed
- 2tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- To make the fennel salad: Mix the mayonnaise and lemon juice in a bowl. Stir in the red onion, fennel, capers and parsley. Season well.
- Put each chicken breast between 2 sheets of cling film and using a rolling pin, flatten until they’re an even thickness all over.
- Put flour in a shallow bowl and add seasoning. Lightly beat egg and milk in another bowl and mix the breadcrumbs with the herbs in a third bowl. Dip each piece of chicken in the flour to coat, then in egg and lastly in the herby breadcrumbs, covering them well.
- Cook escalopes in 2 batches. Heat half the butter and half the olive oil in a large, non-stick pan over a medium heat and cook the chicken for about 3 mins on each side, pressing it down, until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the pan, and keep the first batch warm.
- Wipe pan clean with kitchen paper. Add the rest of the butter and oil, and when hot, cook the remaining chicken. Cut each piece of chicken into 3 or 4 strips.
- Serve with the fennel salad, and potatoes or noodles, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 529(kcal)
- Fat 32.0g
- Saturates 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.