Weight Watchers chicken and mushroom pie
Prep time:(plus 30 mins chilling time)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Splashing out
On a diet but craving a satisfying pie? Weight Watchers' chicken and mushroom pie recipe is a guilt-free treat at only 353 calories per slice. This hearty pie serves 4 people and takes around 50 mins to make. It's a family favourite and once you've made it you'll be whipping this delicious comfort food over and over again. We just love how this pie takes and looks just like a classic chicken and mushroom pie but just misses out on the calories. This recipe shows you how to make the low-fat pastry from scratch as well a tender chicken filling infused with garlic and packed with plenty of veggies.
IngredientsFor the pastry:
- 150g (5½ oz) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 65 g (2¼ oz) low fat spread
- low-fat cooking spray
- 2 x 165 g (5¾ oz) skinless boneless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250 g (9 oz) closed cup mushrooms, quartered
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage or 1 tsp dried sage
- 10 g (¼ oz) porcini mushrooms, snipped into small pieces
- 100 ml (3½ fl oz) white wine
- 300 ml (10 fl oz) chicken stock
- 1tbsp skimmed milk, to brush
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Serve this pie with a colourful mixture of zero POINTS value carrots, broccoli and cauliflower, adding 100 g (3½ oz) cooked potatoes per person, for an extra 1 POINTS value per serving.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Rub in the low-fat spread until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add just enough cold water to bring the dough together. Shape into a disc, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan oven 170°C/gas 5.
- Heat a large, lidded, non stick frying pan, spray with the cooking spray and brown the chicken pieces. You may need to do this in batches. Remove the chicken to a plate. In the same frying pan, soften the onion for 3 mins before adding the garlic and mushrooms. Cook for a further 2 mins. Stir in the flour, sage and porcini mushrooms, then gradually blend in the wine and chicken stock. Return the chicken to the pan. Bring to the boil, season, then cover and simmer for 15 mins. Tip into a ceramic pie dish with a lip and cool for 10 mins.
- Roll out the pastry to a circle slightly larger than the top of the dish. Cut a narrow strip of pastry from around the outside, brush the edge of the dish with water and press the pastry strip onto the lip of the dish. Dampen the pastry border, then lift the pastry lid into place. Press down well and trim the edges. Use a fork to stamp a pattern around the edge, and use the pastry trimmings to decorate the top.
- Brush with the milk and then bake the pie for 25 mins until crisp and golden.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 353(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.