Weight Watchers chilli con carne
Skill level: Easy peasy
Weight Watchers chilli con carne is a classic recipe with a lower-fat twist. This hearty meal is a real winter warmer, minus the guilt of extra calories and fat. Cook up a big batch of this healthy chilli con carne from Weight Watchers, in three quick and easy steps and you have yourself two dinners to feed a family of four. This recipe serves 8 people and will take around 2hrs to make and cook. Serve your chilli with potato wedges, tortilla wraps or a small portion of rice.
- low-fat cooking spray
- 2 large onions, chopped finely
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600g (1lb 5 oz) extra lean beef mince with 7% fat or less
- 4 red peppers, de-seeded and chopped finely
- 450 g (1lb) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small red chilli, de-seeded andchopped finely or 1tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 kg (2lb 4 oz) carrots, peeled and chopped finely
- 2tbsp dried oregano
- 1tsp paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1tbsp fennel seeds
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 x 400 g cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 300 ml (½ pint) vegetable stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A small bunch of fresh coriander or
- Parsley, chopped, to serve
Plan a month's worth of family meals with our easy meal planner to save you money
- Heat a very large, lidded, non-stick saucepan or casserole and spray with the cooking spray. Stir fry the onions and garlic for 5 mins, or until softened, adding a little water if they start to stick.
- Add the mince and stir fry, breaking it up with a wooden spoon for 10 mins, until it is browned all over. Season with black pepper and add all the other ingredients except the coriander or parsley.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer gently, covered, for 1½ hours, stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaves. Serve with the coriander or parsley scattered over the top.
Fancy making a traditional chilli con carne? Try our classic chilli con carne recipe
Weight Watchers POINTS (R) value - 8. This recipe is taken from Weight Watcher's Healthy Food For Hungry Families, published by Simon and Schuster, RRP £14 and available from Amazon