Bean hotpot with cheesy croutons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, about 500g (1lb), peeled and cubed
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 600ml (1 pint) vegetable stock
- 100g (3½oz) green beans, chopped
- 420g can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small ciabatta, sliced into 12
- About 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 60g (2oz)
If you want the green beans to retain their bright colour, blanch them separately in a pan of boiling water for 2 minutes, drain, and rinse under cold running water. Add to the hotpot for the last couple of minutes of cooking.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the celery and sweet potato and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the pepper, cook for another few minutes, then stir in the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the green beans, cook for another 5 minutes, then stir in the butter beans and simmer for 5 minutes until heated through. Squash some of the beans and potato in the pan to thicken the juices. Check for seasoning and that the potato is just tender.
- Meanwhile, toast ciabatta on one side, turn slices over, put thyme leaves and grated cheese on top and grill until brown. Serve the toasts on the hotpot.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 434(kcal)
- Fat 11.0g
- Saturates 4.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.