Chicken with black bean sauce
Skill level: Easy peasy
This chicken with black bean sauce is a delicious Chinese takeaway favourite that you can cook at home in just 20 minutes! This chicken stir-fry also contains a third of your recommended daily iron intake and a portion of veg and the tenderstem broccoli is both crunchy and delicious. Serve this dish up with either rice or noodles and you'll have a really nice, filling dinner. Plus, if you've made extra, you can easily reheat it the following day for lunch.
- 400g bellaverde broccoli
- 30ml/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 60ml/4 tbsp unsalted cashew nuts
- 4 chicken breast fillets, sliced
- 2.5cm/1in piece root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 4tbsp/60ml Chinese cooking wine (or dry sherry)
- 6 tbsp/90ml black bean sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Just two spears of broccoli is all you need to tick off one of your 5-a-day portions of fruit and vegetables
- To make this chicken breast recipe, wash and prepare the broccoli by trimming a little off the end of each spear. Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok, add the cashews and stir fry for 1 min or until they are golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the chicken to the wok and stir fry for 5 mins, or until pale golden. Add the broccoli and 3 tbsp water stir fry for a further 1 min, then cover and cook for a further 2 mins.
- Remove the lid, stir in the ginger, garlic and onions then stir fry for a further 1 min. Add the wine or sherry and black bean sauce, followed by the cashews. Serve straight away with rice or noodles.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 337(kcal)
- Fat 13.8g
- Saturates 1.9g
- Sugars 5.0g
- Salt 1.7g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.