Chocolate orange cheesecake
Cooking time:chill until set
Skill level: Bit of effort
This lovely cheesecake is perfect for a special occasion. Make it the day before, then decorate shortly before serving.
IngredientsFor the biscuit base
- 75g butter
- 150g digestive biscuits, crushed
- 25g butter
- 110g plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsps Cointreau or brandy
- 1 tbsp powdered gelatine
- 2 tps finely grated orange zest
- 200g cream cheese
- 4 tbsps Splenda granulated sweetener
- 2 eggs, separated
- For the biscuit base, melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Stir in the crushed biscuits. Tip into a 20cm loose-bottomed flan tin or dish and press into an even layer. Chill in the refrigerator until firm.
- For the filling, put the butter, chocolate pieces, cocoa and Cointreau or brandy into a heatproof bowl. Sit the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and allow to melt, stirring occasionally to blend. Cool slightly.
- Put 75ml of just-boiled water into a bowl or jug. Sprinkle in the powdered gelatine, stirring to disperse it. Leave it to dissolve for about 3 mins, stirring from time to time, until the liquid is perfectly clear.
- Beat the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl to soften it, then mix in the orange zest, sweetener and egg yolks. Stir in the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites in a grease-free bowl until stiff. Use a large metal spoon to fold them into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the gelatine liquid. Pour over the biscuit base and chill until firm – this will take 2–3 hours.
- Decorate the cheesecake to your liking. We’ve used whipped cream, chocolate curls and shreds of orange zest.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 497(kcal)
- Fat 40.0g
- Saturates 23.0g
- Sugars 17.1g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.