Squash and pepper risotto
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 250g (8oz) risotto rice
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into small chunks
- (900g/2lb prepared squash)
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 45g (1½oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
This is tasty with garlic, white wine, frozen peas and some fresh herbs added.Sue McMahon
- Heat a large pan containing 1tbsp olive oil and the onion, and cook for 5 mins until the onion softens. Add the rice, stir well for a minute, then add 600ml (1 pint) hot water and the chunks of butternut squash.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, over a medium heat, until liquid is almost absorbed, about 10 mins. Add another 300ml (½ pint) hot water and the red pepper strips, and cook for about 15 mins until the squash is tender. Add more hot water if needed. Leave the risotto to rest for a few mins.
- Stir in half the cheese, season well, then serve with the rest of the Parmesan and drizzle with extra olive oil, and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 360(kcal)
- Fat 4.0g
- Saturates 2.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.