Baked chicken with potatoes and red onions
Skill level: Bit of effort
This hearty family meal takes only 20 minutes to prepare and together with a selection of green vegetables, will be delicious and healthy
- 6 large skinless, chicken thighs (approx 500g)
- 5tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 150ml (5fl oz) dry white wine
- 450g (1 lb) medium sized new potatoes, scrubbed and cut into chunks
- 3 medium red onions, cut into thick wedges
- 1 large rosemary sprig
- 120ml (4fl oz) chicken or vegetable stock
- Flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chicken thighs are a cheap and tasty option but if you want a more luxurious meal, splash out and add chicken fillets instead.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/Fan180°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Cut the chicken thighs into large chunks. Heat a large flameproof dish and add 3tbsp of the oil. Add the chicken and cook over a medium heat for 4-5mins, turning until lightly browned.
- Pour in the wine, bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 2mins.
- Add the remaining oil, the potato chunks and onions. Stir, so all the ingredients are coated in olive oil, pour over the stock. Chop about 1tsp of rosemary spikes then scatter over the dish, adding a little salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Bake uncovered for 20mins, turn the ingredients over and bake for a further 20mins. Add a few sprigs of fresh rosemary to garnish.
- Serve with a green vegetable such as broccoli, spinach or green beans.
Why not try our classic baked chicken recipe with a rich tomato sauce?