Glazed apple squares
- 375g packet sweet dessert pastry
- 2 x 275-285g jars apple sauce
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 dessert apples (eg, Jazz), cored, peeled and sliced
- 3-4 tablespoons apricot glaze, or sieved apricot jam
- 18 x 28cm (7 x 11in) fluted flan tin
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and line the flan tin. Chill the pastry case for at least 30 minutes. Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C.
- Line the pastry case with baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Place in the oven and bake the pastry blind for 15 minutes. Lift out the baking parchment with the baking beans and return the pastry case to the oven for a further 3-5 minutes, or until the pastry is a light-golden colour, then remove it from the oven.
- Mix together the 2 jars of apple sauce with the lemon zest and spread the mixture over the base of the pastry case. Top with the sliced apple. Brush the lemon juice over the apple slices.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the apple starts to turn golden and then remove from the oven.
- Heat the apricot glaze or sieved jam until runny and then brush it over the top of the cake.
- Cut into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 163(kcal)
- Fat 7.0g
- Saturates 2.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.