Sophie Dahl's buffalo mozzarella bruschetta
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Splashing out
This delicious and chunky buffalo mozzarella bruschetta with shaved fennel and courgette feeds one person and is from episode 1 of the new BBC series, The Delicious Miss Dahl
- Thick slice of sourdough bread
- ½ small fennel bulb, herby tops reserved
- ½ small yellow courgette
- Small bunch of mint
- ½ orange, skin cut off and thinly sliced into rounds
- ½ lemon, squeeze the juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 125g buffalo mozzarella
We've got more cooking for one recipes to try
- Heat a griddle pan until smoking hot.
- Toast the bread well on both sides so it has the griddle pan marks on it.
- While it is toasting. Using a speed peeler - thinly shave the fennel and courgette into a bowl.
- Pick off some small mint leaves, tear the big ones and add to the bowl.
- Pick off some of the fennel tops and add to the bowl.
- Add the thinly sliced orange and the juice of half a lemon.
- Add some extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- When the sourdough is ready put it on a plate. Rub with the cut side of a piece of garlic and drizzle over some olive oil.
- Tear the mozzarella in half and place on the bread.
- Pile the fennel and courgette salad on top, drizzle a little more extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle over a few more fennel tops and serve.
- Serve with a glass of chilled Mersault or White Burgundy.
The Delicious Miss Dahl starts on BBC2, Tuesday 23rd March 2010, at 8.30pm, for six episodes.