Sophie Dahl's shepherd's pie with champ
Skill level: Bit of effort
These tasty little shepherd's pies are from episode two of Sophie Dahl's BBC cookery programme, The Delicious Miss Dahl. They can be made with a meat filling, or choose the veggie option and fill them with puy lentils
IngredientsFor the champ topping:
- Sea salt
- 6 floury potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Handful of frozen peas
- 4 spring onions roughly chopped
- knob of butter
- 50ml milk
- Freshly ground pepper
- 150g Cheddar cheese, broken into chunks
- ¼tsp smoked paprika
- 2 red onions, peeled androughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 small carrots, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2 sticks of celery,chopped into small pieces
- 2 cans plum tomatoes
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tsp Tabasco
- ¼tsp smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 175ml red wine
- 200ml vegetable stock
- Couple of springs of rosemary
- Splash of balsamic vinegar
- Small handful of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 250g lean beef mince
- 1 tin puy lentils
Champ is a creamy Irish mashed potato dish with chopped spring onions mixed in. Sophie Dahl also uses peas and chunks of cheese in her champ to make it even more delicious.
- For the champ topping, heat a pan of water, season with salt and add the potatoes and bring gently to the boil, simmer gently.
- For the tomato sauce base, heat a large frying pan and add some olive oil. Add the chopped onion, garlic, carrots and celery and fry gently to soften a little for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, smoked paprika, bay leaves, red wine, vegetable stock and the rosemary.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and some roughly chopped parsley and season well with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil.
- At this stage the sauce needs to cook for a few minutes on a medium heat until the vegetables are soft and then it is ready to be divided in two.
- For the beef mince: Heat a frying pan, add a pack of lean beef mince and fry off until the mince is a nice brown colour.
- Transfer half the tomato sauce into the browned beef.
- Add the tin of lentils to the remaining tomato sauce.
- Leave both frying pans on the hob while you finish the champ.
- Now finish off the champ topping. When the potatoes are almost done add the frozen peas and cook for a further minutes.
- Chop the spring onions, melt a knob of butter in a small saucepan and then soften the onions in the butter.
- Once the onions are softened add the milk and heat gently.
- Drain the potatoes and peas and mash roughly.
- Add the milk/butter/spring onion mixture to the potatoes and continue to mash until you have lovely chunky mash.
- Spoon either some of the lentil or beef mixture into an individual pie dish.
- Top each of the side dishes with half of the champ. Crumble over the cheese and smoked paprika
- Place your individual shepherd's pie on a baking sheet in a preheated oven at 200ºC for about 25 - 30 minutes.
The Delicious Miss Dahl starts on BBC2, Tuesday 23rd March 2010, at 8.30pm, for six episodes.