Chocolate and caramel tart
Prep time:(plus 30 mins chilling)
Cooking time:(plus 30 mins cooling)
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 375g packet sweet dessert pastry
- 150g (5oz) unsalted butter
- 397g can condensed milk
- 100ml (3½fl oz) golden syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 100g bar dark chocolate
- 60g (2oz) unsalted butter
- 3 level tbsp cocoa powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium eggs
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar
- 2tbsp creme fraiche
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Mini Easter eggs, to serve
- 23cm (9in) fluted round flan tin
- Baking parchment and baking beans
The tart is best served at room temperature rather than chilled, so that the caramel is slightly soft.Sue McMahon
- Roll out the pastry and use to line the flan tin. Chill for at least 30 mins.
- Set the oven to gas mark 6 or 200°C and put a baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Place a sheet of baking parchment in the chilled pastry case and fill the case with baking beans. Put flan tin on the hot baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15 mins. Remove from the oven and lift out the baking parchment with the baking beans, then return the tin to the oven for a further 3-5 mins until pastry is light golden. Remove from the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to gas mark 4 or 180°C.
- To make the caramel layer: Melt butter in a saucepan over a low heat, then add the condensed milk, syrup and salt. Stir the mixture until well combined. Simmer the mixture gently for about 10 mins, stirring well to prevent it catching on the base, until it’s golden. Remove the pan from the heat, pour the mixture into the pastry case and spread it out.
- To make the chocolate layer: Break the chocolate into pieces, place in a bowl and add butter. Melt together in a microwave oven or by placing the bowl over a pan of hot water. Stir cocoa and vanilla extract into the mixture. Lightly beat together the eggs and caster sugar, then beat in the creme fraiche. Fold in the chocolate mixture. Pour the mixture into the pastry case.
- Bake tart in the centre of the oven for 40-45 mins, or until filling has set. Remove from oven and leave to cool for about 30 mins, then remove from tin and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust tart with icing sugar just before serving. Serve with some mini Easter eggs.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 543(kcal)
- Fat 32.0g
- Saturates 17.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.