Roast spiced chicken with Indian style gravy
If you do not have time to make your own gravy, you can use store bought gravy. Just add the onions to a pan and skim off any fat before stirring in the Patak’s Balti Paste, sauté for two minutes before pouring in the store bought gravy and check the seasoning
IngredientsFor the spiced roast chicken:
- 100g soft butter
- 3 tbsp Patak’s Balti Paste
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 tsp black pepper, coarsely crushed
- 1.5 – 2kg (3lb 6oz – 4lb 8oz) whole chicken
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 celery stick, sliced
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 600ml (1 pint) chicken stock
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp Patak’s Balti Paste
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- In bowl mix together the butter, Patak’s Balti Paste, garlic, coriander and black pepper. Carefully loosen the skin and rub the marinade onto the breast of the chicken or rub over the surface of the whole chicken. If you have time cover and refrigerate the marinated chicken for two hours or even overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Place the onions, carrots and celery in a large roasting tin.
- Stuff the lemon into the cavity of the chicken and place on top of the vegetables.
- Cover with foil and roast for 20 minutes per 500g + 20 minutes. Remove the foil for the final 30 minutes of cooking time so the chicken is golden, the juices will run clear when the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the roasting tray and rest.
- Remove the vegetables from the roasting tray and discard. Place the roasting tray on the hob on a medium heat. Once the onions begin to sizzle skim off any fat on the surface.
- Stir in the flour into the pan juices and cook for two minutes. Slowly whisk in the hot chicken stock, making sure there are no lumps. Add the Patak’s Balti Paste and continue to cook until the gravy has thickened. Check the seasoning.
- Serve the roast spiced chicken with plenty of Indian style gravy.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.