Fruity pork casserole
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
This quick and simple one-pot pork casserole recipe costs just £1.32 per serving and works well using a slow cooker - just follow the manufacturer's instructions, easy! This delicious casserole is a family favourite that takes only 1hr and 15 mins to prepare and cook and serves around 4 people. Leftovers can be kept for the next day once cooled store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Make sure you reheat thoroughly, until piping hot before serving again. This classic pork casserole has been given a fruity twist thanks to the apricots which work wonders together and really bring out the best flavour in the tender cut of pork. Plenty of veggies count towards your 5-a-day, even the kids will love it!
If you don’t own a flameproof casserole dish, just brown the pork in a frying pan before transferring it to a regular casserole with the other ingredients.
- 2tsp vegetable oil
- 500g lean pork chunks (such as leg or shoulder)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 250g swede, chopped
- 250g potatoes, chopped
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 100g ready-to-eat dried apricots, halved if large
- ¼tsp ground ginger
- 2tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2tsp cornflour, blended with 2tsps of water
- Chopped fresh parsley or coriander, to garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan oven 170°C/gas 5.
- Heat a large flameproof casserole dish on the hob and add the vegetable oil, brushing it over the base. Add the pork chunks, letting them sear and brown before turning them over. Cook for 3-4 mins until browned on all sides.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, swede and potatoes, stirring well. Pour in 450ml (3/4 pint) water. Bring up to the boil, then crumble in the chicken stock cube. Add the apricots, stir in the ginger and mixed herbs, then cover with a tight-fitting lid. Transfer to the oven and bake for 1 hr.
- Stir the blended cornflour, then add it to the casserole, stirring until thickened. Cook for 2-3 mins. Serve, garnished with chopped fresh parsley or coriander.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.