Cheesy haddock and spinach bake
Skill level: Bit of effort
This creamy fish pie style bake is oozing with melted cheese, delicious chunky haddock and fresh spinach. It only takes 40 minutes too and the family will love it
- 20g butter
- 20g plain flour
- 240ml milk
- 2tbsp Dijon mustard
- Squeeze of lemon
- 100g spinach
- 70g cheese, chopped into small cubes like Pie d’Angloys
- 400g smoked haddock Fresh fish advice video
- Salt and pepper
Just top with mash to turn this cheesy haddock and spinach bake into a delicious fish pie
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat, remove and stir in the flour to form a roux. Place back on the heat and cook for 30 secs stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Gradually add the milk a little at a time whisking as you go to prevent any lumps from forming. When you have incorporated all the milk and the sauce has a creamy consistency add in the Dijon mustard, cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice. Season to taste.
- Wash the spinach and cook for 1-2 mins, squeeze out any excess liquid using a sieve and the back of a spoon.
- Divide the spinach between two small crockery-baking dishes, place the fish on top and finish with the sauce.
- Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 mins until golden on top.