Poppy seed, cheese and onion scones
Cooking time:(may need an extra 5 mins)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Have these savoury Camembert cheese and red onion scones with a nice hot soup like French onion. They only need to bake for 12 minutes to come out soft and golden
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 55g (2oz) butter
- 25g (1oz) Camembert cheese, chopped into small chunks
- 150ml milk plus a little extra for glazing
- ½ tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 small red onion
- ½tbsp sugar
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
Top tip: Camembert cheese works best in these scones, but you can use any leftover cheese you have in this recipe like Cheddar or Stilton.
- Preheat oven to 220ºC (425ºF, gas mark 5) and lightly grease a baking tray.
- Mix together the flour and salt, then rub in the butter.
- Finely slice the red onion and cook over a medium heat along with the sugar and red wine vinegar until soft. This should take about 5 mins.
- Stir in the Camembert, poppy seeds, Dijon mustard, milk and red onions to the flour mixture and form a soft dough.
- Turn out on to a floured surface and lightly knead. Pat the dough out to form a round 2cm thick circle.
- Using a 5cm cutter stamp out the scones until all the mix is used.
- Place scones on baking tray, brush with milk and bake for 12-15 mins. Best served slightly warm.