Gennaro Contaldo's roast baby chicken
Skill level: Bit of effort
This delicious roast stuffed chicken recipe from celeb chef Gennaro Contaldo is great for Sunday lunches. Serve with tasty new potatoes.
- 2 whole baby chickens
- 4 slices of streaky bacon
- Olive oil for greasing
- 1kg (2lb 4oz) baby new potatoes, unpeeled, left whole and part boiled for 5 mins
- A few rosemary needles
- ½ a glass of wine
- Salt and pepper
- 200g (7oz) tinned sweetcorn, drained
- 200g (7oz) stale bread, softened in milk and strained
- 80g (30oz) Parma ham, finely chopped
- 40g (1½ oz) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 sage leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Kitchen string
'Baby chickens are so much nicer to look at and easier to carve than normal-sized chickens. One baby chicken feeds 2 people. As a young boy, I remember our chickens were fed on corn and when I first came to England, it surprised me to see people eating corn. After trying it myself, though, I realised how delicious it was. This is what gave me the idea to use sweetcorn in the filling.'Celeb chef Gennaro Contaldo
- Pre-heat the oven at 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7).
- Make the filling by combining all the ingredients together well. Stuff the baby chickens with this filling.
- Top the chickens with the bacon and tie well with the string so the filling does not escape.
- Place in a well-oiled roasting tin together with the part-boiled potatoes. Sprinkle with the rosemary needles, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with some olive oil. Add the wine, cover with foil and roast in the oven for approximately 15 mins.
- Remove the foil and continue to roast for 25 mins until the chickens are cooked through. Remove from the oven, leave to rest for a minute, then serve.
Gennaro’s Easy Italian is out now, published by Headline, priced £20 RRP.