Blueberry Bakewell clouds
Prep time:(approx, including decoration time)
Skill level: Bit of effort
A little bit like bakewell tarts, these blueberry cupcakes have a biscuit base and moist vanilla sponge topped with cream cheese icing with blueberry jam in the middle
IngredientsFor the base:
- 12 digestive biscuits
- 110g / 4oz melted butter
- 1 dsrtsp demerara sugar
For the cake:
- 200g / 7oz cream cheese
- 2dstspn icing sugar
- 1dstspn lemon juice
- 110g / 4oz unsalted butter, room temperature
- 110g / 4oz caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 110g / 4oz self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla
For the filling:
- 3tbsp blueberry jam
For the icing:
- 170g / 6oz unsalted butter
- 170g / 6oz cream cheese
- 500g / 1lb, 2oz icing sugar
- Dot of purple food colouring paste
Xanthe Milton says: 'When my niece first saw these she named them blueberry clouds and they have been called this ever since
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a 12-hole nonstick muffin tray with paper muffin cases.
- First make the base: Place the digestives in a plastic bag and bash them with a rolling pin until they resemble fine breadcrumbs. Put them in a bowl, stir in the demerara sugar, then the melted butter and mix well. Press firmly into the base of each paper case.
- Whisk the cream cheese in a bowl with the lemon juice and sifted icing sugar until combined. Set aside.
- To make the cake: Whisk the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, followed by the vanilla, flour and baking powder. When thoroughly combined, stir in the cream cheese.
- Add a generous dessertspoon of cake mixture onto the crumb base in each paper case and bake in the oven for 20 mins. Cool on a wire rack.
- Remove the centre of each cake with an apple corer and fill with about a tsp of jam.
- Cream together the butter and cheese for the icing and beat in the icing sugar. Add a dot of food colouring to make the icing a lilac colour. Spread a thin layer of icing over the top of each cake.